Friday, November 17

Isn't she just a doll?!

A while ago, maybe even as much as a year ago, my friend, Staci, gave me an Annie she had picked up at a garage sale. Nothing gives me that warm fuzzy feeling like someone saying, "I saw this and thought of you.". This is especially true as I'm often told that I'm a difficult person for whom to buy a present. I think I'm easy to please but it would be harder for someone who doesn't know their way around a craft, fabric, or book store to pick out something I'd love.

Anyway, this doll was cute but something was lacking. If you're a doll person you'll know what I mean when I say she just didn't have any life in her.

So last night I took a seam ripper to her. I removed her hair made of fabric strips. I plucked out her embroidered face.

Her skin was made of white muslin. She was much too pale. So I pulled out the walnut ink and stained her...clothing and all.

This morning she was dry so I gave her a new face (with button eyes...Annies MUST have button eyes!) and new hair. I almost got teary-eyed (I know, I'm weird) when I looked at her and saw that she now has that spark of life in her. She looks so totally different than before. I can't believe I neglected her for a whole year.

I also wanted to mention that I am loving all the comments left by new friends!! I've been trying to limit my computer time in an effort to maximize my sewing time, so I haven't taken the time to respond to each comment individually. But I wanted to be sure you knew that I truly appreciate your comments.

4 comments:

Mom IsAmagpie said...

Wow she is so beautiful. I drop by here quite a bit lately because I find your stuff so insipiring. This post is a great example of why. I can't wait to see more of your work.

Renee said...

She's so sweet. I love her face. <3

cindy said...

she is cute...i love raggedy ann. i have a few patterns in various sizes and one dolly in progress. but the older, much-loved ones are precious.

Dannielle said...

testing...