Saturday, November 10

Weekend plans and secrets revealed



I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend so far! We're having gorgeous autumn weather with temperatures in the low 60s. It's that kind of weather that makes you want to open the windows and scrub the house shiny.

There won't be too much scrubbing going on here this weekend. The bare minimum, actually. Instead there will be lots and lots of stitching. I've got some orders to work on (I just sent off the order pictured) and a few more things to finish up for my etsy shop.

Also, weekends have become baking time around here. Last Sunday I baked myself silly: 3 loaves of whole grain bread, 3 loaves of pumpkin bread, 5 dozen muffins, 3 dozen mini muffins, and a pan of weird brownies that ended up crumbled in some banana muffins. The freezer is still well stocked except for bread. I'll need to make more tomorrow.

Speaking of bread, I finally found (thanks to a net-friend's recommendation) the *perfect* whole grain bread recipe. It's the best ever, I think. Soft and spongy. Totally worth the little bit of extra work.

On another note, I'd like to chat a bit about my patterns. I'm often asked about my patterns for things you may see throughout my blog that I don't have listed over there in my free patterns and tutorials. Please know if the rambling I'm about to do doesn't answer a question you may have, just ask. I'm not bringing it up because I don't want to be asked. Rather I'm bringing it up because I'm asked so much that I can only assume there are many people who are wondering but haven't asked.

So here's the deal- Some patterns are pretty easy for my to create and explain. I love sharing and these patterns are the perfect thing for me to share.

But I haven't shared them all. And the biggest reason for that is that I have this (silly?) dream of one day writing a crafty book. Or at the very least making some patterns available for sale. Also, many of my patterns are in a very rough state. Some are literally cut up sketches and nothing more. There's a lot of work that would need to go into some before they were presentable.

The book thing is the big dream though. Unfortunately I haven't the slightest clue how to go about pursuing this dream.

I'd also have to figure out how to present them more professionally first. Handwritten, hand-drawn scans are fine for here (though I'd like nicer here too), but not good enough for *the big dream*.

So, anyway, that's why I have a stash of patterns that I haven't shared. I want to be prepared just in case my secret big dream should ever have the chance to become a reality.

15 comments:

Jenny said...

That's a wonderful dream and I'm sure you will find a way to make it come true.

aleinung said...

hallo danielle,

you have so wonderful ideas and I wish you that your dream becomes reality.

Anonymous said...

You explained it perfectly ;)

I am often asked by my DH why I don't "just write a book". ROFL...well, of COURSE I would love to...I almost feel ridiculous saying (er...typing) that out loud, funny...it doesn't seem silly to hear other people say(er...see other people write)it...it makes perfect sense when THEY do...but me? ROFL.

I hope we both get to do it...I really truly do. If nothing else, I hope you do ;)

Dannielle said...

Yes, I feel ridiculous admitting it to the masses, too. But now that I've spilled the beans on why I hoard my best patterns, I expect the world to know. Y'know, so I don't have to say it out loud again. LOL!

Renee said...

Hello!!!! How long have I been saying you need to write a book??? I remember waaaay back at amity's and the thread with you being the Keeper of the Mood at your house.
Dannielle, you definately need to figure out this book thing and go for it!!!

Tiarnna said...

Most certainly figure it out! You can do it!!!

Unknown said...

Dannielle, I will be first in line to buy it! I love your patterns!

Anonymous said...

I came to your blog from Amber's and I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but here's what I know about publishing your own books. If you check out cafepress.com they allow you to upload your document (as a pdf) and then they will print and bind books for you and you can sell them through cafepress or order a bunch and sell on your own. There are other sites that will allow you to do this as well, I'm just drawing a blank on them now.

As far as how to write it, meaning technically speaking- not how to come up with the ideas, there is some free software that will allow you to make a really professional text that you can then pdf. Some are a little more user friendly than others. As for patterns, I would suggest getting familiar with a good drawing software (there are really good free ones out there like the gimp) and try to 'draw' them and save them as jpgs. Then you can insert them in your document before making a pdf. Upload it all to cafepress and voila- you have a book.

Now I have to confess I know all this because, I too, dream of writing a book. Not about patterns or anything like that, just a regular old novel/book.

If this is helpful but you have more questions, email me: jodyhorst@gmail.com.

If this was not helpful- sorry. :)

Sunshine Alternative Mama said...

Dream big Dannielle! You are an artist and a writer too. Seek the thing you want to be!

Nan said...

You definitely should write a book, Danielle! You are such a talented lady, and have many wonderful ideas to share with others. You go girl!!

Journeying said...

I just want to throw in my two cents' worth of support. You are a very talented and creative person, and I have no doubt that you have plenty of "stuff" - not only patterns but ideas and concepts - for a book. A good book.

Susan

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say good luck with your dream of writing a book. You are such a talented lady. I am hoping to have a go at making your tea pot cover, they would make great gifts for Christmas.

Also love your newest creations, especially the "mushroom" head dolly. :.)

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

The hardest part is taking the first step....you will do wonderful.
Penny

Knot Garden said...

Good luck with your dream, I hope it comes true for you! You certainly have the talent.

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

just found your delightful blog and will be back for more. You have a lot going for you and much talent.
Blessings
Blondie